Mobile development for national department store chain
This client’s existing iOS mobile applications were essentially wrappers around an antiquated mobile web page. Download times were slow, navigation was unintuitive, and the overall user interface was sub-optimal. The client wanted to delight customers with mobile interaction that was consistent with the in-store and online experiences.
Specific organizational & technical challenges included:
- No dedicated mobile team or internal mobile development subject matter expertise
- Limited strategy and no clearly articulated documentation on how best to integrate all services and applications
- Testing environments were poorly utilized and unstable
Avenue Code was asked by the client to provide technical direction & development subject matter experts on iOS. We subsequently defined the iOS architecture as well as collaborated with the client to field an internal mobile development team. Now new features are defined, prioritized, developed and released in iterative cycles according to a pre-defined schedule; large production updates are consistently released to the App Store Implemented and delivered features on schedule; and unit test coverage has been raised to 60%, with further improvements to that metric anticipated soon.
- Stable, predictable release management
- Significant code quality improvements
- Sales from the mobile platform increased 27% in the first year
- Apple App store rating jumped from 3.5 stars to 5 stars for the first time ever