Avenue Code is an eCommerce consulting firm headquartered in San Francisco, with two additional office locations in Brazil. We are privately funded, profitable, and have been on a solid growth trajectory since day one. We care deeply about our clients, our partners and our people. We prefer the word "partner" over "vendor" and our investment in professional relationships is a reflection of that philosophy. We pride ourselves on our technical acumen, our collaborative problem-solving ability, and the warmth and professionalism of our staff.
About the opportunity:
The Senior Manager of IT (Product Engineering) - Technical Management directs software development, implementation and support efforts across our client’s collection of Stores, E-Commerce, Fulfillment centers and supporting business applications.
This collection of applications forms a cohesive, scalable platform that is the basis for our success and future growth. The Senior Manager of IT - Technical Management works as a member of the Product Engineering group and serves as the driving force behind the delivery of multiple, concurrent business initiatives that leverage and extend our robust technical platform.
The Senior Manager of IT - Technical Management draws upon deep technical knowledge, years of software development experience, proven leadership skills and ability to forge strong working relationships that cross organizational lines in order to aid us in our DevOps transition.
- Accountable for ensuring project/product delivery excellence across our entire application spectrum.
- Provides leadership and direction for technical managers, architects, quality assurance engineers, developers and other technologists
- Works closely with key business leaders to define strategies for business applications and processes.
- Works with business and IT leadership throughout the strategic planning process.
- Participates in the process to prioritize and scope future projects and initiatives.
- Works with business and IT leadership to prioritize support and tactical issues to address immediate business needs while maintaining strategic direction.
- Hires bright talent and plans resource needs and allocations to support projects, initiatives, and support.
- Evaluates business needs, researches and formulates application solutions, and makes solution recommendations to the leadership team.
- Ensures service levels are understood and met.
- Proactively engages other leaders in cross-functional efforts. Openly shares plans and strives to prevent surprises for other organizations.
- Guides technical leads and other technologists to make sound decisions that support company priorities.
- Fosters open communication within and between teams.
- Communicates effectively with IT management. Keeps IT leaders apprised of any issues or concerns. Takes a 'no surprises' approach to communication within the department and with the business.
- Sets uncompromisingly high standards of performance for self and subordinates.
- Displays a strong work ethic and sense of urgency. Demonstrates strong initiative to make things happen.
- Displays a strong ambition in gaining skills and knowledge. Stays abreast of industry trends and best practices.
- Acts as a change agent, initiating appropriate changes to support business growth, reduce operational costs, and/or improve service levels.
- Ensure effective communications-up, down and across the business.
Required Qualifications/Technical Skills:
- 7+ years of experience in leadership and management roles in software industry, ideally with software development background.
- Strong experience in application development on the Java/J2EE platform, CI/CD frameworks and Mobile, preferably hands on experience at some point.
- Ability to hire, guide, mentor, and grow technologists and managers.
- Ability to integrate people and teams.
- Comfortable working with senior management, technical leaders, quality assurance engineers and software developers. Ability to interact with business executives in business terms.
- Demonstrated ability to delegate and empower others.
- Solid commercial software engineering skills.
- Full lifecycle development experience on large projects, creating distributed and scalable Retail systems. Strong knowledge of industry standards and techniques in development and testing.
- Familiarity with a variety of SDLC methodologies (i.e. RUP, XP, Scrum, Lean, etc.)
- Proven record of process analysis and continuous improvement
- Experience with object-oriented and service-oriented systems.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to influence technical discussions and decisions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college, or equivalent experience
Does this sound like you? Apply now to become an Avenue Coder!