Avenue Code is an eCommerce consulting firm headquartered in San Francisco, with two additional office locations in Brazil. We are privately funded, profitable, and have been on a solid growth trajectory for several years. We care deeply about our clients, our partners and our people. We prefer the word "partner" over "vendor" and our investment in professional relationships is a reflection of that philosophy. We pride ourselves on our technical acumen, our collaborative problem-solving ability, and the warmth and professionalism of our staff.
About the opportunity:
Our Technical Operations team is searching for an uncommonly talented Sr. Systems Engineer to join as a member of our Technical Operations team. You will work as part of a team responsible for supporting a 24/7 production environment including product releases, implementation, production incident support, patches, upgrades, and automation.
- You show a strong sense of ownership.
- Exhibit mastery of at least one core infrastructure component: networking, storage, virtualization, cloud, etc.
- You understand our application ecosystem and the relationship to our infrastructure.
- You feel comfortable with designing solutions and seeing them into production and beyond. Monitoring, load testing, performance tuning, and documentation.
- You understand the importance of uptime and reliability, and participate in Tier 2 or 3 on-call duties for production systems.
- Designing for failure is second nature to you.
- Your first priorities are system performance, tuning, and root cause determination of failures.
- You’ll find new opportunities for monitoring and performance improvement.
- You believe in documentation and mentorship, and know the value in fostering a teaching / self learning environment.
- You will assess the network environment to make sure its good.
- Mixed Linux/Windows tasks (if we have to pick one that would be Linux).
- Patching strategies, make sure OS specs are met.
Required Qualifications/Technical Skills:
- 3-5 years system administration level experience or equivalent.
- Deep experience in 2 or more of the following areas:
- Linux environments/ CentOS: Nginx, Apache (tomcat, solr, zookeeper, etc.).
- VMWare ESX / vSphere experience.
- Cloud technology (AWS, Azure – public/private and hybrid cloud).
- OSI model and Cisco networking.
- Enterprise storage concepts: SAN, NAS, etc. ISCI preferred.
- Excellent debugging, problem solving, and testing skills.
- Dedication to excellent customer service.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Be able to tailor your message to your audience.
- Ability to mentor other system administrators in best practices.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be willing to be part of a 24/7 on-call rotation (Primary/secondary approximately every 7 weeks).
- Hybrid cloud migration
- Windows Administration including: IIS, AD, Trusts, Federation, and WSUS
- Orchestration tools: chef, puppet, ansible, etc
- SQL and NoSQL databases
- Networking / CCNA
- Scripting language: (PowerShell, Bash, Ruby, Python.)
- We are looking for a jack of all trades – network, compute, cloud/cloud systems engineer
Does that sound like you? Apply now to become an Avenue Coder!